Monday, July 19, 2010

Dear Microsoft Customer Service




Dear Microsoft Customer Service,

We all know that IT Customer Service is notoriously the bane of modern existence, so I find no need to rub it in. But I would like to make some suggestions.

1. Please stop calling me ma'am. I'm not necessarily 50+ years old.

2. I know many customers call because they cannot figure out how to use your products, however, please don't assume that this is the case. Sometimes your products have legitimate issues. Don't act entirely shocked by this. Things DO malfunction from time to time.

3. If your phone system has an auto-route feature based on my answers to questions and somehow I ended up talking to you, please don't refer me back to the same number I called originally to get to you. Instead, perhaps you can give me to anyone who could actually help?

4. If all methods of troubleshooting fail, it is still your responsibility to make it right. Just because your product is based on codes and softwar eand you don't know how to fix it, doesn't mean you can't fix it by either by issuing new equipment or software, or even reimbursing me for my time. Yes, your company has a blatant monopoly on office software and we cannot avoid using it, but please treat paying customers as people, or we will revolt and stop buying Zunes... well... or... we'll find some way to rebel. Don't test us.

5. A good way to simply the whole process? Don't give 100 codes each with 25 digits to identify any products. It does make the entire exchange unbearable when I have to read 4000 digits out to multiple people over a 2 hour time period of phone transfer tennis, in which I'm the ball.

Every day I'm more in favor of open software development and use. Obama can just tax me for it later or something.

I'm sorry your job sucks, thanks for sharing the wealth,

Lia

No comments:

Post a Comment